The Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships are for talented Indians who want to get a master’s degree in Economics, Environmental Science/Studies, Higher Education Administration, International Affairs, International Legal Studies, Journalism and Mass Communication, Public Administration, Public Health, Urban and Regional Planning, and Tourism at certain colleges and universities in the United States.
People who have the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree in the United States, at least three years of skilled work experience, and a strong desire to give back to their communities are eligible for these fellowships.
The scholarships last between one and two years.
Fulbright Nehru Amount
- The grant will help pay for J-1 visas.
- Round-trip economy-class airfare from the fellow’s home city to the host institution in the U.S. Funding for tuition and fees, living and other costs, and accident and illness coverage according to U.S. Government standards.
- Dependents don’t get any money from the Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships.
- Must have earned the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree from a recognised Indian university with at least 55% marks.
- Applicants must have either a four-year bachelor’s degree or a completed master’s degree, or a full-time postgraduate diploma from a recognised Indian school if their bachelor’s degree was less than four years.
- Must have at least three years of full-time, paid work experience in a field related to the one they want to study by the time the application date comes around.
- Should have a track record of being a leader and helping the community
- Must not have another degree from a U.S. university or be in a U.S. degree programme.
- If you have a job, you should carefully follow the directions about employer’s endorsement.
- If it’s necessary, get the FNMasters Employer’s Endorsement Form signed by the right official authority.
- The boss must say that the employee can take time off for the fellowship.
- The FNMasters Employer’s Endorsement Form can be found on the USIEF website and can be downloaded by the candidate.
How To Apply
- Online applications must be sent in.
- Before you start your online application, please carefully read the FNMasters’ Applicant Instruction.
- Before sending in your application, please look at the FNMasters Applicant Checklist.
- The applicant must fill out and upload the FNMasters’ Annexure and (if needed) the FNMasters’ Endorsement Form.
Fulbright-nehru scholarship Age limit
There is no specific age limit to apply for Fulbright scholarships.
Scholarship Website link
Scholarship Registration Link
Contact Email: email@example.com
How and when do we get information on Fulbright-Nehru and other Fulbright fellowships?
Announcements inviting applications for Fulbright-Nehru, Fulbright-Kalam, and other Fulbright Fellowships happen in February every year. For complete details, visit the webpage Fulbright Fellowships for Indian Citizens.
Do we submit paper applications or online applications?
Applicants for the following fellowship categories are required to complete an online application. Application instructions can be downloaded from the USIEF website www.usief.org.in. Please visit the webpages of these fellowship categories for specific details.
- Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships
- Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships
- Fulbright-Nehru Postdoctoral Research Fellowships
- Fulbright-Nehru Academic and Professional Excellence Fellowships
- Fulbright-Nehru Visiting Chair Program at Emory University
- Fulbright-Nehru Visiting Chair at the University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Fulbright-Nehru International Education Administrators Seminar
- Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowships
- Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program
- Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program
- Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement Program
- Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Program for International Teachers
- Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence Program
How many letters of reference/recommendation do I need to submit?
Depending on the grant category, applicants are advised to request two to three referees to send in their recommendations or complete those online by the application due date. Please read the applicant instructions.
If I am employed, do I need my employer’s approval as part of my application?
If you are employed, you are required to route your application through proper channel. Your application will be considered ineligible without the employer’s endorsement/Letter of Support from Home Institution. The employer must indicate that leave will be granted for the fellowship period. Please obtain the endorsement in the specified format from the appropriate administrative authority. Postdoc candidates working under government-funded projects are required to get an endorsement from their affiliating institutions in India.
For the Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral, Postdoctoral, Academic and Professional Excellence Fellowships and Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowships, does it help to establish contact with potential U.S. host institutions at the time of application? Is it mandatory?
You will be affiliated to only one U.S. host institution for the entire duration of your grant. USIEF strongly recommends applicants to identify institutions with which they wish to be affiliated and to correspond, in advance, with potential host institutions. If you have secured a letter of invitation from a U.S. institution, please include it as a part of your application. It is not mandatory but highly preferred.
How long does the review process take?
The review process takes three to four months after the application deadline. For the Timeline and Placement process, please visit the grant specific webpages on our website www.usief.org.in.
If selected, when can I begin my fellowship in the U.S.?
For the 2024-2025 cycle, most Fulbright fellows will begin their grants in August/September 2024. Depending upon the fellowship category, some fellows could begin in January 2025. 2024-2025 Fulbright-Nehru fellows for non-degree programs have to come into grant status no later than May 31, 2025.
What does the selection process involve?
Subject experts review all eligible applications. Applicants recommended by the subject experts will be required to appear for an interview with the USIEF National Selection Committee. Shortlisted candidates are notified at least three weeks prior to the interview date. Depending on the grant category, the national selection committees meet between August and December.
Fulbright-Nehru selection panels will generally use the following criteria to evaluate applications:
- Academic credentials and professional ability
- Merit of the proposed Fulbright project
- Communication skills
- Commitment to the community or national service
- Need to conduct research in the U.S.
- Outcomes, Potential Impact and Benefits
- Motivation, Seriousness of Purpose, Maturity, Leadership, Cultural Adaptability
- Ability to contribute as a cultural ambassador beyond his/her specific field of study
The national selection committees recommend a slate of nominees for further consideration of the Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB) in Washington, D.C. Nominees are notified of the outcome typically in March/April.
Are Fulbright-Nehru and Fulbright grants available for attending conferences, seminars and paper presentations in the U.S. and other countries?
Fulbright-Nehru and other Fulbright grants are not for the principal purpose of attending seminars and conferences or for presenting papers.
Who is eligible to apply for the Fulbright-Nehru and Fulbright Fellowships?
Please see the eligibility criteria listed with respect to each grant category in addition to the General Prerequisites.
Can I avail of a Fulbright-Nehru or Fulbright Fellowship for a project that I want to work on in India?
No. These grants are offered for study, research, teaching or professional development in the U.S.
What is the duration of the grants?
It can range from 2 weeks to 24 months depending on the grant category. See individual grant descriptions in the e-brochure or the website.
Is there a preferred age for each fellowship category?
Fellowship categories do not have age limits/age preferences. Please see individual grant descriptions on USIEF website.
I had applied for a Fulbright-Nehru/Fulbright fellowship in the past but did not make it. Can I apply again?
Yes, you can apply again. Please review the eligibility criteria carefully. You can apply for only one Fulbright-Nehru category in one calendar year. Candidates cannot apply for Fulbright-Nehru and Fulbright-Kalam grants in the same academic year.
Where can I get information on Indian Fulbright fellows?
Please visit the “Current Fellows” page on USIEF’s website www.usief.org.in to learn about our fellows currently in the U.S. and their Fulbright projects.
If I have any queries regarding the fellowship programs, who should I contact?
You can send your queries as follows:
For Fulbright-Nehru Master Fellowships: firstname.lastname@example.org
For Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships: email@example.com
For Fulbright-Nehru Postdoctoral Research Fellowships: firstname.lastname@example.org
For Fulbright-Nehru Academic and Professional Excellence Fellowships: email@example.com
For Fulbright-Nehru Visiting Chair at Emory University: firstname.lastname@example.org
For Fulbright-Nehru Visiting Chair at University of Massachusetts Amherst: email@example.com
For Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship for Doctoral Research: firstname.lastname@example.org
For Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship for Postdoctoral Research: email@example.com
For Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship for Academic and Professional Excellence: firstname.lastname@example.org
For Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program: email@example.com
For Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program: firstname.lastname@example.org
For Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement Program: email@example.com
For Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Program for International Teachers: firstname.lastname@example.org
For Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence Program: email@example.com