Are you ready to lead the next group of people who care about civic participation for everyone? Then, apply for the Professional Fellows Program on Inclusive Civic Engagement to talk with other new leaders from Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, and the US about and plan projects for inclusive civic engagement.
The US Department of State funds the Professional Fellows Program on Inclusive Civic Engagement, which is a professional programme for new leaders in Africa to share and use best practises for inclusive civic engagement. The programme will pay for about 12 Fellows from Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, and Ethiopia in the middle of their careers to take part in a five-week Fellowship Program in the US in the spring of 2024.
As a Fellow, you will learn ways to help you build and improve fully inclusive political societies in your country for people with disabilities. The most important part of the programme is a Fellowship with a host organisation in the US. As a Fellow, you will choose a key policy or practise problem in your country that has to do with disability and civic participation.
This policy or practise problem will be the focus of your Fellowship placement training and will help you plan and carry out the project you will work on when you get back home. The name for this is the “follow-on project.” There will also be mentoring and community service as part of the Fellowship training.
- Start your US Fellowship by meeting with programme staff virtually to prepare for your Fellowship and trip to the US.
- Participate in your group: During your Fellowship job, you will work with your US host organisation. Share what you know and what works best about including people with disabilities in different cultures.
- Develop a plan: Work with your US friends to make a plan for your follow-up project that you will put into action when you get back home.
- Come to the Professional Fellows Congress: At a four-day meeting in Washington, D.C., you can meet and talk with more than 100 Professional Fellows from all over the world.
- Sustain your project: After your Fellowship in the US, your US host coach might come visit you in your home country to help you with your follow-up project.
As a Fellow, you will get money and help with:
- Travel from home country to the US and back.
- Travel within the US connected to the fellowship.
- Insurance for travel delays.
- During the time of the Fellowship in the US, accident and health protection will be provided.
- Places to live in the United States.
- You will get a living income to pay for food, local transportation, and other small costs.
- You get a cultural budget that you can use to buy books and go to cultural events.
- Arrangements for people with disabilities, if needed.
- An Internet hotspot.
The Fellowship Program will start around May 8, 2024, and end around June 13, 2024. Note that the start and end times of a Fellowship may change slightly.
Unless something else is said, the Fellowship training will happen in person in the US. If COVID-19 or other events that limit travel happen, they will run the programme online.
Criteria for eligibility
This competition is built on skill and is open to people from Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, and Ethiopia.
To apply, you must meet all of the following requirements. You must:
- Be between the ages of 25 and 40 on the first day of the Fellowship Program. This means that you must be at least 25 years old and no more than 40 years old. (May 8, 2024).
- You have to be a member of Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, or Ethiopia and live there.
- As far as you know, you should be able to get a US J-1 visa. (Visit the US Department of State website for information about J-1 visas.)
- Be able to speak English well.
- Be able to read and write English well.
- Have worked in a professional setting for at least two years.
- Be able to go to the United States for the five weeks of the Fellowship Program.
Visit the US Department of State to find out more.
PEOPLE ARE CURRENTLY READING:
- How To Easily Apply for Leading The Pacific Scholarship 2023
- How To Apply and Qualify For Minority Fellowship Program in the US 2023
- How To Qualify for Young Transatlantic Innovation Leaders Initiative Fellowship Program 2023
- How To Apply and Qualify for BridgeUSA Ukraine Journalism Scholarship Program 2023
- Best 24 hour Study Spots UT Austin You Will Love